Friday, July 23, 2010

A Job No Longer

I feel like my job got up and walked away. After a series of conversations that started with the inevitable notice of a Navy wife and ended with a handshake and smile from human resources. But I lost a friend. My job. My routine. My favorite latte and chats with irreplaceable peeps. My ability to make money writing. (Gotta work on getting that back.) And keeping the hope that social media will keep the best conversations alive.

My going-away party (which would normally have been full up of awkward compliments and goodbyes and vacant stares over something sweet everyone knows will go straight to their ass) was actually pretty sweet. I got my own 'what wil happen to my workload' podcast, my own 'what will happen to Esri events writing' article, my own GIS fleece and Lakers T-shirt, an XL chocolate cake with raspberry and a slice that included one of the giant frosting flowers. So on my sugar high, sitting in my friend and coworker's wheelchair (the best seat in the house in meetings), I instead pocketed the compliments into the vault next to all the secrets, and saved the goodbyes for as much avoidance as possible at the end of the day before sneaking off to HR.

Below are some quotes shared by my cowriter in an e-mail invite to a writers bon voyage happy hour at Mu.

Happy trails to you, until we meet again. Some trails are happy ones, others are blue. It's the way you ride the trail that counts. —Dale Evans

Parting is such sweet sorrow. –William Shakespeare

Be well, do good work, and keep in touch. – Garrison Keillor

It’s so hard to say goodbye to yesterday. – Boyz II Men

Leave them while you’re looking good. – Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, It might have been. – John Greenleaf Whittier

I must be traveling on now 'cause there's too many places I've got to see … I'm as free as a bird now and this bird, you'll cannot change. – Lynyrd Skynyrd

No comments: